Workshops on Saturday and Sunday
Attendance fee 10 € / workshop.
Saturday Jan 18th, 10.00 - 11.15 :
1 Ukulele basics / Antti Ahonen, finnish
- for adults and children
2 Clawhammer technique / Seppo Sillanpää, finnish
- + hammer on and pull off techniques
3 Arranging Chansons and working as a duo / Charlotte & Elisabeth, english
- Charlotte and Elisabeth will show you their methods of how they approach practicing, working and performing as a duo.
- Elisabeth’s topics: sketching out and arranging sheet music written for piano; how to effectively practise instrumental parts that will later be combined with voice; how to play an attentive and careful accompaniment that neither interrupts the vocals, nor disappears in the background.
- Charlotte’s topics: how to tell the story of a song through finding characters and playing with emotive singing; how to make the audience want to pay attention; dealing with difficult songs, pushing own limits without hurting the voice; how to have a whole lot of fun treating every song as a miniature theatre performance.
- This workshop is about the complete process from finding a song, establishing and reaching goals, to putting it on stage.
Saturday Jan 18th, 11.45 - 13.00 :
4 TWUF orchestra / M Rantanen, L Keskinen, A Julkunen, finnish
- building up a ukulele orchestra playing arranged and orchestrated music
- - melody, harmony, accompaniment strum (or two) and uke bass
5 Arranging for Ukulele / Seppo Sillanpää, finnish
- Introduction to arranging of all kind of music for ukulele. Fingerpicking, campanella technique, blues and folk.
6 Uke goes Latin & Caribbean / Tubadu, english
- basics of and strumming rhythms of reggae, calypso and son
- also for bassists and percussionists
Sunday Jan 19th, 10.00 - 11.15 :
7 Art of Looping / Joseph Gara, english
- what is looping
- basic looping for repetitive chord progression and for non repetitive chord progressions
- how to build up - stanza to chorus
- how to choose a looping gear
- songs for looping
8 Ukulele and Social Media / Nikky and the Ukulele, english
- promote yourself on Social Media
- how to create an interesting social media presence for you, your ukulele and your band
- how to find the right platform for your goals
- how to engage and how to connect with a wider audience
- tips on how to create interesting content and how to find your overall social media strategy
9 The 21st Century Ukulele / Pete Howlett, english
- Pete is one of the most famous ukulele makers in the world. He has built over 700 ukuleles and has challenged himself to reach 1000.
- Pete wants to tell about his development from a maker of traditionally designed and made ukulele to making of his current model.